1/1 Photo of Smoked Gouda Corn Chowder
1 hr 30 mins
A friend's son created this for one of our soup luncheons- delish! Try not to boil the soup, as this will cause it to break and have an unwanted texture. Stir soup periodically to prevent scorching on the bottom of the pan. Additional option: For a non-vegetarian option, fry and crumble ½ lb. bacon. Use the bacon grease instead of the butter for the roux. Add the bacon back to the soup with the salt and pepper. (You will use less salt because of the bacon.)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Season corn with salt and roast corn in oven on sheet pan until slightly golden brown edges.
- 2In large soup pot, using medium heat, sauté onion and celery in butter until onions become tender and translucent.
- 3Add garlic and thyme.
- 4Add flour to make a thick paste (in pot roux).
- 5Cook roux for 1-2 minutes.
- 6Reduce heat. Add milk, and whisk together thoroughly to prevent lumps.
- 7Add bay leaves and roasted corn.
- 8Add cubed potatoes and bring to a simmer.
- 9Add shredded Gouda to finish the soup. Note the cheese will help to thicken the chowder—add ½ lb., then more to thicken to your preference.
- 10Add salt and pepper to taste.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Gouda Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (586 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 686.2
- Calories from Fat 321
- Total Fat 35.6 g
- Saturated Fat 21.4 g
- Cholesterol 111.6 mg
- Sodium 530.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 65.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 28.2 g
- Protein 28.3 g