Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My family and friends LOVE these poppers! While the Gouda adds a nice smoky dimension, I have made with other cheeses as well...still tastes great. I spray the parchment paper with olive oil spray first. Adapted from The Food Network. Hope you enjoy!
- 2 link chorizo sausage, casings removed
- 226.79 g smoked gouda cheese, shredded
- 59.14 ml finely chopped red onion
- 1 egg
- 118.29 ml cream cheese
- 44.37 ml sour cream
- 14.79 ml hot sauce (recommended ( Frank's Red Hot)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large jalapeno peppers, stemmed, seeded and halved
- Special Equipment: parchment paper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Brown chorizo in a skillet over medium-high heat, about 8 to 10 minutes. Drain and place into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the cheese, red onion, egg, cream cheese, sour cream, hot sauce, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Press into jalapeno halves and assemble on a parchment lined baking sheet.
- Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
This was GREAT!! We didn't have as many guests as we expected so I figured that we would have quite a few left over. There were only two left!! I made about a third on my smoker and the rest on the grill. Each type had its own distinct appeal. No one could decide which one was better.
We tried this the other day but prepared it all on the smoker-incredible! We used farmers cheese instead of gouda and smoked it ourselves. A couple people said they were the best poppers they had ever had!