Recipe by mermaidmagic
Another recipe from Food & Wine
Top Review by Pets'R'us
We eat a lot of leeks in The Netherlands, often with a cheese sauce. That is what I used this sauce for. Not so keen on smoked Gouda cheese on its own but in this sauce it was really good. I used hot smoked paprika and some more nutmeg then stated in the recipe.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups whole milk
- 1⁄4 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄4 lb smoked gouda cheese, coarsely shredded
- 1⁄2 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- 1 pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add the flour and whisk over moderately high heat for 30 seconds.
- Add the milk and bring to a boil, whisking constantly.
- Cook over moderate heat, whisking constantly, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the cream, smoked Gouda, paprika and nutmeg and whisk just until the cheese is melted, about 2 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Use right away or cover directly with plastic wrap and refrigerate.