Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
My DBIL works in the rice industry here in our area where they had a contest for winning recipes, the company then sent home some of the best recipes with their employees. Here's one more that my DS has tried and her family really enjoyed. Serving sizes, preparation and cooking times are questimated since DS did not include them with her recipe to me, and I have yet to make this up...will revise when I do.
- 44.37 ml olive oil
- 236.59 ml finely chopped shallot (one large shallot will do)
- 473.18 ml mushrooms, sliced
- 709.77 ml hot cooked long-grain rice
- 283.49 g package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
- 473.18 ml shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 177.44 ml whipping cream
- salt and pepper
- Preheat broiler.
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium-high heat, add shallots and mushroom, saute about 6 to 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add hot rice, spinach, 1 1/4 cup gouda, and the cream. Stir until cheese melts and the mixture is heated through.
- Put mixture into a lightly greased 2 qt casserole, sprinkle remaining cheese over the top, broil about 2 minutes to melt cheese.
A vegetarian's dream that obviously was much enjoyed by Pepper, my cockatiel. How do I know? I walked in only to find him pecking his review on my keyboard.
This is an awesome dish! It has fantastic flavor. I made this when family came for dinner and mom especially could not stop raving about it and immediately asked for the recipe. Thanks for posting this keeper!
I decided to take this to a potluck BBQ over the weekend and...wow! I was hesitant because I usually am asked to bring a broccoli cheese casserole that I am famous for but I thought I would rock the boat a little and try this. It went over very well with the adults but the kids were a little put off by the spinach and "strange cheese." So I just shoved a chicken leg in their mouth and told them to go play. This is a great dish but a little pricey to make because of the expense of Gouda- but don't let that stop you from trying it... it is great!