Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
Oh yeah. It's as delicious as it sounds.
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 cup dark beer, preferably Doppelbock
- 1 tablespoon whiskey
- 6 -7 ounces smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 6 -7 ounces gruyere, grated
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1 pinch cayenne
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Worcestershire sauce, to taste
- hot sauce, to taste
- Slice the clove of garlic in half and rub it against the bottom and sides of the pot, coating it in garlicy goodness.
- Add butter to pot and melt over high heat.
- Reduce to low heat and add flour, stirring constantly to create a roux. You do not want to brown the roux, but want to cook it a bit.
- Add beer and whiskey to pot and stir constantly until the roux is completely dissolved and the mixture is smooth and lump-free.
- Add cheese a handful at a time and stir until completely melted and smooth.
- Add mustard, cayenne and black pepper.
- Finish with hot sauce and worcestershire to taste.
- Serve with bratwurst, bread, veggies or anything else you like smothered in cheese.