Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
These are really good quesadillas with gouda, caramelized onions, and prosciutto. They can be assembled ahead of time, and then baked when you're ready.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon golden brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups smoked gouda cheese, grated
- 4 (10 inch) flour tortillas, 10-inch diameter
- 2 ounces prosciutto, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in heavy medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, brown sugar and vinegar; saute until onion is golden brown, stirring frequently, about 25 minutes. Remove from heat. Cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Sprinkle cheese over half of each tortilla, dividing equally. Sprinkle prosciutto and sauteed onion over cheese. Season with pepper. Fold other half of each tortilla over cheese mixture. Brush tortillas with some of melted butter. Brush heavy large skillet with some of melted butter. Place over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook quesadillas just until brown spots appear, brushing skillet with butter between batches, about 2 minutes per side. Transfer quesadillas to heavy large baking sheet.
- Bake until tortillas are golden and cheese melts, about 5 minutes.
- Transfer quesadillas to work surface. Cut each into 6 triangles. Arrange on platter and serve hot.
Delicious!! Used whole wheat tortillas and added a bit more prosciutto and some cooked chicken to make a meal out of this. I Added the prosciutto and chicken with the onion and sauted them for a few minutes. Thanks lazyme! :)
I tried this recipe tonight because I was searching for what to do with some Prosciutto I had on hand. I have to say that the flavor mix was excellent. The onions sauted with the white wine vinegar and brown sugar along with the flavor of the gouda, and prosciutto was amazing. I did add a step. I bought a roasted chicken from the grocery store and shredded the chicken off the bones. Then I sauted the shredded chicken in olive oil with spices, such as Garlic salt, roasted garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. We made the quesadillas with a little of the chicken as well as the rest of the ingredients in this recipe. This allowed us to use a little less cheese and make it less rich. This was an easy recipe and very very good!
Great recipe! Love the sweetness to the onions from the brown sugar. No need for a sauce for this quesadilla, delish as is :)