Top Review by Lvs2Cook
All I can say is WOW!!! I made the recipe exactly as posted and the meat was so tender and flavorful. We used chunks of hickory in the smoker and I added some orange slices to the water pan. The smell was incredible. Thank you so much for posting ~ this is a definate keeper!
- 1 (12 -14 lb) whole turkey, giblets removed, rinsed and patted dry
- 12 wood chunks (orange or hickory)
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
- 2 oranges, scrubbed, additional oranges may be used for garnish
- 2 cups orange juice
- 1 bunch fresh sage
- 3 heads garlic, cut crosswise in half
- 1 (6 ounce) package garlic & herb spreadable cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- At least 1 hour before cooking, soak wood chunks in enough water to cover.
- Preheat coals.
- Rub the turkey cavity with salt.
- Cut oranges into 2-inch chunks.
- Place the cut oranges, sage and garlic in the cavity.
- Loosen the breast skin and spread the cheese spread underneath.
- Tuck the wings under the back and tie legs together.
- Rub the turkey with oil, juice from an orange, chopped sage, salt and pepper.
- In a smoker, arrange preheated coals, half of the drained wood chunks and the water pan according to the manufacturer's directions.
- Add water and orange juice to water pan.
- Cover and smoke for 5 – 6 hours until thermometer registers 180°F when inserted in the breast.
- Throughout, add more coals, wood chunks, and water/juice as needed.
- Remove turkey to platter.
- Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Rest at least 5 minutes prior to carving.
- Reserve any drippings for Orange Turkey Gravy with Sage.