Recipe by Mama's Kitchen (Hope)
What a different and fun way to enjoy that fresh fruit. I have posted this with cherries but please do try other fruits! , Suffused with the heady smoke of beer or juice soaked wood chips will leave the fruit unbelievably rich, mellow, sweet-smoked flavor. You can use less fruit and a smaller pan but keep the 12 oz of beer or juice the same to soak the wood chips in. Enjoy as they are or try adding them as a garnish to your drinks, especially cherries, citrus etc... You can toss all kinds of fruit right in the same pan or use small, recyclable foil pans and keep them separate. I think a jar of smoked cherries would make a great gift too! Enjoy!
- 3 cups cherries or 3 cups fruit, of choice
- 12 ounces beer or 12 ounces apple juice
- wood chips, I use two good handfuls
Directions See How It's Made
- Soak some wood chips in the beer or apple juice. Use whatever you like - we used hickory.
- Place fruit in a single layer in a foil disposable pan.
- Toss drained wood chips on a fire that has died down to a low heat in your smoker or grill. Discard the liquid please! This works especially great when you are already smoking some meat. Just add the fruit about 2 hours before the meat is done.
- Place the foil pan on the top rack of your grill. Allow to cook for two hours in the low, steady heat.