Prep 1 hr 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Easy to make, delicious snack or appetizer. Prep time includes chilling time.
- 4 ounces smoked fish (salmon, whitefish, or trout)
- 1 (8 ounce) containerwhipped cream cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 6 green onions
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash seasoning mix (seasoning)
- Remove skin and bones from smoked fish and flake with a fork.
- Cut green tops from onions and mince the remainder.
- Combine fish, onions, and rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Chill at least 1 hour before serving.
- Overnight chilling improves flavor.
- Serve with bread chips, crackers, or flatbread.
I grew up eating smoked whitefish. My parents were Eastern European and I have wonderful memories of bialys with a thick layer of butter and flaked smoked whitefish, eaten open-faced with a glass of borscht and sour cream on the side. Childhood memories are wonderful, and this brought back some of my best ones. I couldn't get smoked whitefish in Israel, so I used smoked mackeral, and a very expensive imported tub of Philadelphia whipped cream cheese. No Mrs. Dash either, so I used freshly ground rock salt and multicolored peppercorns. I had these on some toasted pita triangles, and was transported back to being 9 years old and the wonderful feelings of being in my mother's kitchen. Terri, thanks for bringing this back into my life. If I could insert a smiley blowing kisses here I would.