Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Food & Wine. May 2007. They say to serve this with a smokey Pinot Gris. When I make this, I'll cheat and use a ready-made pizza crust and jarred roasted red bell peppers.
RED PEPPER SAUCE
- 1 head garlic, top third sliced off and discarded
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, plus more
- extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon oregano leaves
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lb pizza dough
- all-purpose flour, for dusting
- 1⁄2 lb smoked chicken breast, shredded (2 cups)
- 1 small red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces manchego cheese, coarsely shredded (2 cups)
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, crumbled (1 cup)
- arugula leaf, for garnish
- MAKE THE RED PEPPER SAUCE:
- Preheat the oven to 350°. Place the head of garlic, cut side up, on a double sheet of foil and drizzle with olive oil.
- Wrap the foil around the garlic and bake until the cloves are very soft, about 1 hour. Let cool.
- Squeeze the garlic onto a plate.
- Roast the red pepper directly over a gas flame or under the broiler, turning frequently, until charred all over.
- Transfer the pepper to a plate to cool. Discard the charred skin, seeds and core and coarsely chop the pepper.
- In a food processor, puree the pepper with the roasted garlic, basil, oregano and the 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- MAKE THE PIZZA:
- On a lightly floured work surface, cut the pizza dough into 4 pieces and roll each piece into a ball.
- Flatten each ball, dust with flour and roll out to a 5-inch round. Cover with plastic wrap and let rest for 20 minutes.
- Set a pizza stone on the bottom of the oven and preheat the oven to 500° for at least 45 minutes. Flour a pizza peel.
- Place a dough round on the peel and roll it out to an 1/8-inch thickness. Spread 2 tablespoons of the red pepper sauce over the dough to within 1/2 inch of the edge.
- Scatter 1/2 cup of the shredded chicken and one-fourth of the red pepper strips over the pizza, then top with 1/2 cup of the Manchego and 1/4 cup of the goat cheese.
- Slide the pizza onto the hot stone and bake until browned on the bottom and bubbling on top, about 6 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board, scatter some arugula leaves on top and cut into pieces. Repeat with the remaining dough and toppings.