Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
Rich, smoky, creamy, tasty soup!
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 -6 small white-skinned new potatoes
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 roma tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1⁄2 cup shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried ancho chile powder
- 1 lb boneless smoked cooked chicken breast
- hot sauce, to taste
- Remove the skin and fat from the smoked chicken breast, and cut meat into 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a 6-quart heavy kettle cook the onions in oil over moderate heat stirring, until softened.
- Wash and cut new potatoes into 1/4-inch dice.
- To kettle add potato and garlic and cook stirring, 1 minute.
- Stir in flour, and cook over moderately low heat, stirring 2 minutes.
- Whisk in 2 cups broth and half and half and bring to a boil while stirring.
- Add tomatoes, cheeses, parsley, ancho, and chicken and simmer, stirring occasionally and adding enough of remaining cup broth to thin soup to desired consistency, 20 minutes, or until vegetables are tender.
- Season soup with salt/pepper and hot sauce, to taste.
- Good served in bread bowls!