Japanese Delight's Note:
This is a simple but delightful soup, just perfect for an autumm supper. If smoked chicken is unavailable, feel free to substitute smoked turkey, ham or simply cooked chicken
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 236.59 ml coarsely chopped bacon, ends and pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 29.58 ml butter
- 44.37 ml all-purpose flour
- 1419.0 ml good chicken stock
- 473.18 ml sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 473.18 ml smoked chicken, skin and bones removed shredded
- 59.14 ml roasted red pepper, peeled and diced
- 236.59 ml heavy cream
- 4.92 ml chopped fresh thyme
- 1Heat a heavy soup pot over medium heat and fry the bacon and onions until they are golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- 2Pour off excess fat if there is any.
- 3Melt butter in the pan and stir in flour. Let four cook, stirring constantly until it is golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- 4Add chicken stock and stir well, making sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- 5Bring the soup to a boil.
- 6Add sweet potatoes and simmer until they are tender, about 15 minutes.
- 7Add chicken, red pepper, cream and seasonings and simmer 20-30 minutes more.
- 8Season to taste.
- 9Serve hot.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Chicken and Sweet Potato Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 472.5
- Calories from Fat 289
- Total Fat 32.2 g
- Saturated Fat 18.5 g
- Cholesterol 107.5 mg
- Sodium 735.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 34.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 9.3 g
- Protein 12.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: