Recipe by Japanese Delight
This is a simple but delightful soup, just perfect for an autumm supper. If smoked chicken is unavailable, feel free to substitute smoked turkey, ham or simply cooked chicken
- 1 cup coarsely chopped bacon, ends and pieces
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 quarts good chicken stock
- 2 cups sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups smoked chicken, skin and bones removed shredded
- 1⁄4 cup roasted red pepper, peeled and diced
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a heavy soup pot over medium heat and fry the bacon and onions until they are golden brown, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Pour off excess fat if there is any.
- Melt butter in the pan and stir in flour. Let four cook, stirring constantly until it is golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and stir well, making sure nothing sticks to the bottom of the pan.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Add sweet potatoes and simmer until they are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add chicken, red pepper, cream and seasonings and simmer 20-30 minutes more.
- Season to taste.
- Serve hot.