Recipe by pattikay in L.A.
This is an interesting waffle variation from Moosewood New Classics. Molly Katzen recommends serving them topped with scrambled eggs and salsa. That's how we tried it and it was really good. Of course, this will also work with other cheeses, a combination of cheeses, all white flour if you don't have rye. I like it with a bit of tabasco added in as well.
- 158.51 ml flour
- 158.51 ml rye flour
- 1.23 ml baking soda
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 2.46 ml salt
- 2 eggs
- 236.59 ml buttermilk
- 29.58 ml melted butter
- 29.58 ml chopped scallions
- 2.46 ml Dijon mustard
- 177.44 ml grated smoked cheddar cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- in a large bowl, mix together the two flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- in a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly and stir in the buttermilk, butter, scallions, mustard and grated cheese.
- add teh egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just till combined.
- let the waffle batter sit for about 10 minutes, till you see some bubbles on top.
- meanwhile, preheat the waffle iron. use 1/3 cup batter for each waffle and bake according to instructions that came with waffle iron.
- Serving option: top with scrambled eggs and salsa - though I'm sure there are other good ideas out there!