Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is an interesting waffle variation from Moosewood New Classics. Molly Katzen recommends serving them topped with scrambled eggs and salsa. That's how we tried it and it was really good. Of course, this will also work with other cheeses, a combination of cheeses, all white flour if you don't have rye. I like it with a bit of tabasco added in as well.
- in a large bowl, mix together the two flours, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- in a separate bowl, beat the eggs lightly and stir in the buttermilk, butter, scallions, mustard and grated cheese.
- add teh egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir just till combined.
- let the waffle batter sit for about 10 minutes, till you see some bubbles on top.
- meanwhile, preheat the waffle iron. use 1/3 cup batter for each waffle and bake according to instructions that came with waffle iron.
- Serving option: top with scrambled eggs and salsa - though I'm sure there are other good ideas out there!
These were the best dinner waffles I have ever made! The smoked cheddar and rye flour are a great combination. Goes together in a flash too! Thanks for sharing!