Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Always on a quest to find a good veggie burger. This is untried but looks very good. From Cooking Light. Per serving: 354 calories, 8.8 g fat, 19.3 g protein, 50.7 g carb, 9.8 g fiber, 15 mg cholesterol; allow 45 minutes for chill time.
Top Review by Barucha
Thank you for putting this recipe online! I've been making it for years, and this is hands-down my FAVORITE lentil burger recipe. If I want to vegan-ize this, I use either soft tofu or Ener-G egg substitute in place of the eggs and smoked cheddar-style tofu cheese. Always comes out wonderful, usually a celebration dinner at our house!
- 2 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup dried lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped carrot
- 1 cup shredded smoked cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne
- 3 large egg whites, lightly beaten
- 8 teaspoons stone ground mustard
- 8 whole wheat hamburger buns (each bun should weight 2 oz.)
- 8 tomatoes, slices (1/4-inch thick slices)
- 2 cups trimmed arugula
Directions See How It's Made
- Add the first 3 ingredients to a saucepan; bring to a boil.
- Cover, lower heat, and simmer 30 minutes or until tender; drain.
- Throw out bay leaves.
- Transfer lentils to a large mixing bowl; partially mash with a potato masher; cool slightly.
- Add oil to a medium nonstick skillet; heat over medium-high heat.
- Add in onion and carrot; stir/saute for 5 minutes or until tender; cool slightly.
- Add onion mixture, cheese, and the next 8 ingredients to the lentils; stir to mix well.
- Cover and chill for 45 minutes.
- Divided mixture into 8 portions; shape each portion into a 1/2-inch thick patty.
- Heat a grill pan coated wtih cooking spray over medium-high heat.
- Add half the patties; cook for 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Repeat with remaining patties.
- Spread 1 teaspoon mustard on the top half of each bun; put 1 patty on the bottom half of each bun; top each serving with 1 tomato slice, 1/4 cup arugula and the top half of bun.