Recipe by Curt H.
Hearty chili with a Cajun note and a smokey finish
Top Review by Colleen H.
Delicious chili! We just made it this weekend and it was so yummy! It had just the right heat. I just had some for lunch and it was so savory and warmed me right up. I love the meat to beans ratio, it was such a hearty chili. Definitely would recommend this chili to others.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (16 ounce) package Jimmy Dean sausage
- 4 (29 ounce) cans whole canned tomatoes (cut into fourths or eighths)
- 1 (29 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (16 ounce) can kidney beans (washed)
- 1 (16 ounce) can black beans (washed)
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 6 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 3 serrano peppers, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Tony Chachere's Seasoning
- 3 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 tablespoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Call friends and family, let them know you are about to make some awesome Chili, and to be in your kitchen in about an hour.
- Before the stampede, grab a large (8qt) pot and brown the sausage on high heat (do not drain). The idea here is to get some good browning/sear in the pan so don't fret if it sticks to the bottom, that's the idea. Just don't go overboard and burn it.
- Throw in the celery, onion and garlic, cover, reduce heat and let it do it's thing for 10 minutes at least. stir frequently.
- In a separate pan, brown the ground beef (drain) and add it to the pot.
- Everything else goes in! Be sure to include all the juice from the whole-tomato cans, and I like to cut them very chunky (no more than 3 cuts per tomato) for easy eating.
- Let it come together at a high simmer for about an hour, less if you can't wait.