Prep 5 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This sounded delicious and wouldn't take up much room when smoking meat. Recipe source: Saveur (April 2004).
- 8 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 head cabbage
- In a small bowl combine first 5 ingredients (butter - onion powder).
- Core cabbage, cutting out a good size cavity and then place the seasoned butter in the cavity.
- Wrap cabbage with heavy duty aluminum foil.
- Place cabbage, cored end up, on top rack of grill, close lid and smoke until soft (2-4 hours).
- Unwrap cabbage and discard any blackened leaves and then cut the cabbage into wedges.
This did not turn out very well for us. The directions were not real clear to me about wrapping it in foil. I did not know if the whole thing was to be wrapped so I wrapped the whole thing in foil. When I did this though there was no "smoke" flavor to it. The flavor just was not there. Maybe rephrase step 3 if the top is supposed to be left open for the "smoke" to get in there otherwise this really is not smoked cabbage.