Prep 35 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This chicken will be the best dang bird you'll ever taste in your life, that is unless you have Ralph S. cook it for you. I suggest you fry up some cubed seasoned potatoes and serve the chicks with those on the side. DANG IS THAT CHICKEN GOOD!
- 3 whole chickens
- butter (spray butter)
- 2 cups hickory chips (2 cups/2 handfuls)
- 4 tablespoons garlic seasoned pepper, season to liking or 4 tablespoons seasoning, of choice season to liking
- Well, you're going to need as well:.
- A 5 gallon metal bucket (paint burned off).
- 3 wooden stakes.
- Tin foil (15x15).
- 8 lb. bag of matchlight charcoal.
- Cotton string (about 3-4 ft.).
- Make or acquire 3 sturdy wooden stakes. Drive them into ground after laying down foil.
- Place the stakes close enough together so that you can fit the three chickens on them and still fit bucket over them].
- Place seasoned chickens, breasts outwards, on stakes, and tie string around them tightly so that when cooking, nothing falls off.
- Once chickens are placed and tied, spray a lot of butter all around the chickens and season them some more.
- You're almost there!
- Place hickory chips around and underneath the chickens.
- Put bucket over chickens and pour all the charcoal around the bucket.
- Light it up!
- The chickens should cook for at least 3-3 1/2 hours.
What a great sounding camping or picnic recipe! Yum! I think I'll go track down an large oblong, metal "party bucket" that is used to put ice and beer in. (Or small washtub??) You're basically making a rough dutch oven. (If you want to do the dutch oven, put some hickory chips in a piece of heavy duty foil, and poke a hole in it. You can do it on a charcoal grill that way too- but it won't be as fun!) I cook for Civil War reenactors. Sounds like a good recipe for them!
I haven't tried this, yet, but I'm going to soon. It sounds like it will be fun for a party. HOWEVER! I have done something similar. Put your whole chicken on a half full can of beer. The grill is much easier to work with than the ground. Where or where can I get a 5 gallon metal bucket??????
Are you serious....lol