Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 45 mins
Cook 8 hrs
My version of smoked brisket after reading several recipes and talking to several back yard grill masters. This is for a propane smoker with steam pan and smoker box.
- 1 beef brisket (about 10 lbs, untrimmed)
- 2 lbs wood chips (I use an even mix of hickory and apple)
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup Mexican chili powder (from ethnic food isle or local hispanic market if available)
- 1 tablespoon salt (I prefer kosher, iodized will do)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
Steam pan and mop sauce
- 1⁄2 gallon apple juice
- 3 cups strong coffee
- 2 cups cider vinegar
- 2 (12 ounce) cans beer
- 1⁄2 cup salt
- Mix/blend all rub ingredients in small food processor or spice grinder. Reserve about 1/2 cup of the rub.
- Trim brisket of any discolored fat, hard fat, or fat between flat and flap. Leave most of the fat cap on one side.
- Apply 1-1/2 cups of the rub liberally to both sides of brisket. Wrap with plastic wrap or cover on sheet pan. Place in refrigerator at least 8 hours or overnight.
- Combine all steam pan ingredients. Whisk to combine. Reserve 2 cups of sauce. Combine this with reserved rub. Whisk. Use this as the mop sauce.
- Add hardwood chips to smoker box. Fill steam pan with Preheat smoker to about 200 deg farenheit. Place brisket in smoker, fat side up, when smoke is good and thick. Mop every 30 to 45 minutes or as needed.
- Maintain smoker box and steam pan. If you need more liquid that recipe makes, use apple juice and beer.
- When brisket reaches internal temp of about 145-150 degrees (about 4-5 hours), wrap in double thickness of tin foil. (At this point, smoke and flavored steam are not needed, but don't let steam pan go dry). Put brisket back in smoker or in an oven. Maintain cooking temp between 200 and 225 degrees until internal temp reaches 190-195 degrees.
- Allow brisket to rest in foil pouch on cutting board for 15-20 minutes. The meat will stay warm. Be careful when unwrapping brisket as there will be a large amount of liquid in the foil pouch. This can be discarded or poured over sliced meat.
this was amazing!!!! I stuck with the way it said and it was a crowd pleaser for sure..