1 hr 15 mins
Ready, Set, Cook! Contest Entry. We use Reynolds Wrap Foil whenever we grill since it makes it so easy to get the cooking results we want and to clean up. Because of a hurricane last year, we were using our grill to cook all our meals. We had beans on hand and cooked them at the same time we were smoking the chicken. Wow, were we happy with the result; and now even if the electricity is on, we have enjoyed smoking beans this way ever since.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 ears corn, shucked
- 1/2 cup hickory chips
- Reynolds Wrap Foil
- 1/4 lb bacon
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans
- 1 medium red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup onion, diced medium
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup rice
- 1 3/4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3/4 cup monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1Preheated 350 degree F oven.
- 2In separate bowls, soak the ears of corn and the hickory wood chips with enough water to cover for 30 minutes.
- 3Lay the strips of bacon on a small cookie sheet lined with Reynolds Wrap Foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes until crisp. Drain on paper towels.
- 4While the corn and wood chips are soaking, preheat a gas grill to medium high or start a charcoal fire.
- 5Rinse the black beans in a small strainer and spread onto a small cookie sheet lined with Reynolds Wrap Foil.
- 6Over an open flame, roast the pepper on all sides until blackened. Put the pepper in a small bowl, cover with Reynolds Wrap Foil and steam for 10 minutes.
- 7When the grill is ready, drain the hickory chips, put in the center of a square of Reynolds Wrap Foil and fold into a small packet. With the tip of a sharp knife poke 3 small holes on either side of the packet. Place the packet near the heating element of a gas grill or directly on the charcoal. Drain the corn and wrap with Reynolds Wrap Foil then grill, covered for 10 minutes.
- 8Remove the corn from the grill then place the beans in it and cover. Smoke for 10 minutes then move to a wire rack.
- 9Peel the blackened skin off the red bell pepper and dice into small squares. Remove the corn from the cob and crumble the bacon.
- 10Heat the canola oil in a medium skillet on medium high heat. When the oil is hot, add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the onions and salt and cook covered on medium heat, stirring occasionally for 3 to 5 minutes until the onions are cooked through. Reduce the heat to low, add the cumin and rice then stir constantly for 3 minutes. Adjust the heat to high, add the stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the peppers, corn, black beans and ground pepper. Cook on low heat, covered for 10 minutes. Sprinkle on the Monterrey Jack Cheese then the bacon. Bake in the oven uncovered for 15 minutes until the cheese is melted. Serves 4.
Browse Our Top White Rice Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All White Rice Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Black Bean Cheesy Rice Casserole #RSC
Serving Size: 1 (395 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 609.7
- Calories from Fat 225
- Total Fat 25.0 g
- Saturated Fat 9.0 g
- Cholesterol 38.1 mg
- Sodium 967.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 74.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 9.8 g
- Sugars 5.0 g
- Protein 23.2 g