1/1 Photo of Smoked Beef Brisket With Sauerkraut and Dumplings
4 hrs 20 mins
Chef Shadows's Note:
Here is our family favorite brisket recipe: This recipe is a combination of cool smoking and good old Pennsylvania Dutch cooking. The smoke flavoring blends deliciously well with the sauerkraut and the dumplings. NOTE: Do not use corned beef brisket, this recipe requires a fresh brisket. Source : Shadows
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons your favorite barbecue rub, Carolina BBQ Rub
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons other fat
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 3 lbs beef brisket
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 quarts sauerkraut
- 1Rub the brisket with the Carolina BBQ Rub and let sit for 1 hour.
- 2Prepare smoker for a 2 hour smoke with cherry and maple woods.
- 3Smoke Brisket for 2 hours.
- 4Melt butter in a large pan and brown onion slices.
- 5Add brisket and sauerkraut.
- 6Cover with boiling water and put in the oven at a low temperature for 2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- 7To prepare dumplings, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- 8Using a pastry blender or two knives cut in the butter.
- 9Quickly stir in enough milk to make a soft dough.
- 10On a floured surface, roll dough 1/2 inch thick.
- 11Cut into 12 squares.
- 12Put the squares on top of the simmering beef and kraut.
- 13Cover tightly and simmer 20 minutes without removing the cover.
- 14Serve immediately.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smoked Beef Brisket With Sauerkraut and Dumplings
Serving Size: 1 (336 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 951.9
- Calories from Fat 600
- Total Fat 66.6 g
- Saturated Fat 28.0 g
- Cholesterol 180.8 mg
- Sodium 1340.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 41.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 44.4 g