Cook4 hrs 30 mins
This recipe is from Paul Kirk, seven time world BBQ champion. He is known as the Baron of BBQ. I found the recipe in the June 2009 edition of AmericanWay Magazine.
- Combine all of the spices with the sugar and blend well forming a BBQ spice mix to use as a rub.
- Trim the ribs of any excess fat and remove the membrane from the back of the ribs.
- Season the ribs all over with the spice mix.
- Place ribs bone side down in an enclosed (covered) smoker preheated to 230 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Turn the ribs and baste with apple juice every hour for 4 to 5 hours, or until you can take two side by side ribs and tear them apart easily.
- During the last 30 minutes of smoking you will need to start glazing the ribs on both sides with BBQ sauce of your choice, every 10 minutes (3 times in total).
- Remove the ribs from the smoker, cover and let rest for 10-15 minutes; serve hot.