- 12 slices apple-smoked bacon
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 orange bell peppers, seeded, ribbed and finely chopped
- 3 celery ribs, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves, finely chopped
- 4 cups half-and-half
- 4 cups whole milk
- 7 cups corn (fresh or frozen but thawed)
- 1 1⁄2 red potatoes, washed and cut into 1/3 inch cubes
- 1⁄2 cup fresh basil leaf, chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat a 5 qt pot over moderate heat. Add bacon and cook, turning once, until crisp, about 6 minutes. Transfer to paper towels to drain. Reserve 2 tablespoons fat in pot. Coarsely crumble baco and reserve.
- Add onion, bell pepper, celery and thyme to pot with bacon fat. Cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 6 minutes. Add half-and-half, milk, corn and potatoes;.