Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
From the Border Cookbook by Cheryl and Bill Jamison.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and minced
- 1 tablespoon mild chili powder
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle amber beer, such as Dos Equis
- 1 cup tomato-based hot salsa
- 1⁄2 cup catsup
- 1⁄4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 4 chipotle chiles in adobo, minced
- 2 tablespoons adobo seasoning, from can
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons unsulphured molasses
- 1⁄2 teaspoon liquid hickory liquid smoke
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Saute onions and garlic in oil until soft.
- Stir in the chile powder and cook on low, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until thickened.
- Cool, then puree if desired for a smoother sauce.
- Refrigerate or freeze until needed.