I just invented these to use up some pineapple and chopped nuts. If I make it public, you can assume the experiment went well :).
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄3 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄3 cup crushed pineapple (include some juice)
- 1⁄4 cup Smart Balance butter spread
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄8 cup sugar, plus
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract (rum extract might be good, too!)
- 1⁄4 cup egg substitute (use a whole egg if you don't like cakey cookies!)
- 1⁄4 cup coconut
- 1⁄4 cup macadamia nuts, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup vanilla baking chips (I chopped some of these)
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Blend sugar, butters, and pineapple well. Add egg and lemon extract, mix again.
- Add dry ingredients and mix well. Fold in vanilla/white chocolate chips, coconut, and nuts.
- Drop by even tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake 10-11 minutes, or until golden.
Well, I had 2/3 cup of pineapple from a can I used for a devine banana bread, Coconut-Pineapple Banana Bread. Well, the obvious thing was to make a double batch of these cookies! And am I ever glad I did! Smelly, you have the absolutely bestest recipes for cookies! I still dream of your Health Nut's Demise Cookies (so do my parrots!) Anyways, back to these cookies! They're wonderful, slightly fluffy (don't flatten out like some cookies do), are simple to make, and deliciously different! I will admit to bumping up the macadamia nuts, coconut, and white chocolate chips, though - and I'm glad I did! Oh, and I used a regular egg. Well, two, since I doubled the recipe. Deeeeelish! Thanks for posting, Smelly! Made for Veggie Swap 20.
Outstanding recipe. I made it for DS and skipped the nuts and chocolate (he wants to lose weight but still wants cookies, lol). I also totally forgot the egg but the recipe still turned out wonderful. They are soft and simply delicious. This recipe would very easily accept Splenda in place of the sugars also and I'll use that the next time I make these and keep them :D. Marvelous recipe SV.
What a great invention--I love these cookies!! The coconut, lemon, macademia nuts, pineapple, and vanilla baking chips are wonderful together! I didn't have any lemon extract, so I used 1/2 teaspoon of lemon zest (fresh from the tree in our backyard). And I used whole wheat pastry flour, fresh pineapple (minced), real butter, and a whole egg--and all of that worked out well. This is such a deliciously unique recipe that it's a real privilege to be able to add a copy of it to my favorite recipes cookbook! I'll definitely be making these again! Thanks so much for sharing your delightful invention, smellyvegetarian!!