Prep 45 mins
Cook 45 mins
Like many family recipes, this one was created out of the need to stretch ingredients. One day when there was just a little chicken, and even less ground beef in the house, an old Aunt of mine decreed that the two should be cooked together to make a meal large enough for the whole family. The result was a wonderfully tasty dish that smelled just like Sunday dinner, but it wasn't, because on Sundays we always made sure to have enough of either chicken or meat. This is one of my absolute favorite ways to cook chicken. I hope that you enjoy it as well.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄2 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1⁄2 lb lean ground beef
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1⁄8 teaspoon poultry seasoning (optional)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- First of all make the meatballs by combining all the meatball ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.
- Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and brown in a single layer in the oil, over medium high heat, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- Alternatively meatballs can be browned in a hot oven (I just spray a baking pan with PAM and brown them for about 10 minutes at 425*C).
- Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- Wipe the skillet clean.
- Wash chicken and pat dry.
- In a shallow bowl, combine the 3/4 cup flour, seasonings and mix well.
- Dredge the chicken in this mixture to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
- In skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- Add the chicken and brown on all sides about 4 minutes per side.
- Remove and set aside.
- Pour off the oil from the skillet, leaving only a thin layer.
- Add the chopped onion and saute over medium high heat until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in the 2 tsp flour and mix well.
- Add the stock and wine, stirring gently to blend.
- Cook until thickened.
- Return the chicken and meatballs to skillet.
- Cover and braise over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes until chicken and meatballs are cooked through.
- Adjust seasoning and serve with rice or little noodles.
- Alternatively, chicken, meatballs and sauce can be layered in a covered casserole and cooked in a slow oven for several hours.
Great recipe. Family liked the 2 meats together.I used the slow oven method. Thanks MarieAlice, I will be making this again.
My husband was thrilled! His mother used to make something like this on special occasions and this gave him a taste of his childhood. Easy to make, a little time consuming, but well worth it. Delicious, absolutely delicious!!
This was good, but somehow was not something I'd like to try again. It seemed like a nice idea, but I think I prefer beef and chicken separate. Sorry to sound like a picky child, but I guess we are all different. Thank you for the interesting experience.