1 hr 30 mins
Like many family recipes, this one was created out of the need to stretch ingredients. One day when there was just a little chicken, and even less ground beef in the house, an old Aunt of mine decreed that the two should be cooked together to make a meal large enough for the whole family. The result was a wonderfully tasty dish that smelled just like Sunday dinner, but it wasn't, because on Sundays we always made sure to have enough of either chicken or meat. This is one of my absolute favorite ways to cook chicken. I hope that you enjoy it as well.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, plus
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (optional)
- 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1First of all make the meatballs by combining all the meatball ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.
- 2Shape mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls and brown in a single layer in the oil, over medium high heat, turning occasionally, until well browned on all sides, about 7 to 8 minutes.
- 3Alternatively meatballs can be browned in a hot oven (I just spray a baking pan with PAM and brown them for about 10 minutes at 425*C).
- 4Remove from the skillet and drain on paper towels.
- 5Wipe the skillet clean.
- 6Wash chicken and pat dry.
- 7In a shallow bowl, combine the 3/4 cup flour, seasonings and mix well.
- 8Dredge the chicken in this mixture to coat, shaking off any excess flour.
- 9In skillet, heat oil over medium high heat until hot but not smoking.
- 10Add the chicken and brown on all sides about 4 minutes per side.
- 11Remove and set aside.
- 12Pour off the oil from the skillet, leaving only a thin layer.
- 13Add the chopped onion and saute over medium high heat until tender and lightly browned, about 8 minutes.
- 14Stir in the 2 tsp flour and mix well.
- 15Add the stock and wine, stirring gently to blend.
- 16Cook until thickened.
- 17Return the chicken and meatballs to skillet.
- 18Cover and braise over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, for 45 minutes until chicken and meatballs are cooked through.
- 19Adjust seasoning and serve with rice or little noodles.
- 20Alternatively, chicken, meatballs and sauce can be layered in a covered casserole and cooked in a slow oven for several hours.
Browse Our Top Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Thigh & Leg Recipes
Nutritional Facts for "Smells Like Sunday" Chicken Fricassee With Meatballs
Serving Size: 1 (415 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 692.2
- Calories from Fat 310
- Total Fat 34.5 g
- Saturated Fat 7.2 g
- Cholesterol 181.0 mg
- Sodium 408.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 36.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.3 g
- Sugars 4.1 g
- Protein 51.0 g