1/1 Photo of Smashing Potatoes and Spinach
Kelly M.'s Note:
Roasted new potatoes and spinach with bold spices. Easy to prepare. This recipe was created for the Ready, Set, Cook! contest.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 12 small small red potatoes, cleaned and skin left on (about 2-inch diameter)
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups baby fresh spinach leaves, loosely packed
- additional salt
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Place potatoes on cutting board and give them each one good whack with a meat mallet to crack them (or you could just prick them with a fork if you wish).
- 3Place potatoes in large bowl and drizzle with 1/4 cup olive oil and sprinkle with salt, tossing well to coat.
- 4Roast potatoes on shallow pan until tender, about 25 minutes depending on the size of your potatoes.
- 5Mix lemon juice, wine, coriander, garam masala and sugar in a bowl.
- 6Slowly whisk in remaining 1/2 cup of oil, whisking constantly to blend well and set aside.
- 7When potatoes are near done, heat lemon and oil mixture in a skillet over medium heat, just to a low simmer.
- 8Add the spinach and cook until just wilted, only a minute or two, and remove from heat.
- 9Place the potatoes in a large bowl and smash them with a fork (and knife if necessary), breaking them apart into coarse pieces.
- 10Sprinkle the red onion over the potatoes, then pour the spinach and vinaigrette mixture over the potatoes and toss thoroughly.
- 11Be sure to taste them and season with more salt as needed.
- 12Cover with foil and let stand about 5 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smashing Potatoes and Spinach
Serving Size: 1 (1192 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1537.9
- Calories from Fat 739
- Total Fat 82.1 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 669.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 184.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 23.6 g
- Sugars 10.4 g
- Protein 21.7 g