Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
A recipe from Fast Fix Family Food Better Homes and Gardens cookbook
Make and share this Smashed Veggie-Cheese Sandwiches recipe from Food.com.
- 8 (1/2 inch) thick slices country french white bread
- 4 teaspoons olive oil or 4 teaspoons cooking oil
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard or 2 tablespoons bottled ranch salad dressing
- 4 ounces cheddar cheese or 4 ounces farmer cheese, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup cucumbers or 1⁄2 cup roma tomato, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 cup fresh spinach leaves or 1⁄2 cup broccoli slaw mix
- 1⁄4 cup red onions, thinly sliced or 1⁄4 cup sweet red pepper, strips thinly sliced
- 4 cups ready-to-serve tomato soup
- 1 cup roma tomato, chopped (3 medium)
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- Brush one side of bread slices lightly with oil. Brush other side of bread slices with honey mustard. Top the mustard side of four of the slices with cheese. Top cheese with cucumber, spinach, and red onion. Top with remaining bread slices, mustard sides down.
- Preheat an indoor electric grill or a large skillet over medium heat. Place the sandwiches on the grill rack. If using a covered grill, close lid. Grill sandwiches until bread is golden and cheese is melted. (For a covered grill, allow 3 to 5 minutes. For an uncovered grill or skillet, allow 6 to 8 minutes, turning once halfway through grilling.) With a long serrated knife, cut sandwiches in half.
- Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan stir together soup, tomato, and balsamic vinegar. Heat through. Serve soup with sandwiches.
Made recipe as listed except for using regular onions instead of red and romaine lettuce instead of spinach. I served this with Scoutie's Barefoot Contessa Cream of Fresh Tomato Soup instead of ready-to-serve tomato soup and they went well together.
This took me right back to my childhood eating lunch with my grams. passed this on to grandkids, they like to help putting it together.
A yummy sandwich that I gobbled up. I made one sandwich easily. I didn't have the soup this time, too hot, but will enjoy it when it cools down just a little more. Thanks for a yummy lunch! Made for the Australian Swap-Sept. 2011.