Prep 30 mins
Cook 6 hrs
The cranberries add a burst of color and flavor.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch thick slices
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice
- 1⁄4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄3 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- Add the sweet potato slices to a lightly oiled 4-quart slow cooker.
- In a small bowl, mix together the apple juice and brown sugar; pour mixture over the potatoes.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours, until the potatoes are tender.
- Right before servings, smash the potatoes with a potato masher until smooth; fold in the cranberries.
- Serve hot.
This dish was a great accompaniment to pork. As other reviewers suggested, I cut back significantly on the brown sugar. It was still quite sweet, partly because I used sweetened dried cranberries since they were on hand. It was very easy to throw together, and leftovers were good, too! Thanks.
I thought this was very good. There was a lot of liquid in the crockpot when the potatoes were ready to be mashed and they were really soupy. I ended up leaving the lid off for a while to try and thicken them, so next time I might drain them before mashing. I only used 2 T of brown sugar and they were quite sweet. My kids picked out the cranberries but liked it otherwise.
What a wonderful tasty addition to our Thankgiving table. My husband has already requested these for Christmas dinner too. Thanks for the share !