Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is from La Huella, a parador in Jose Ignacio, Uruguay.
- 907.18 g medium yukon gold potatoes or 907.18 g red potatoes
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 78.07 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Wrap each potato individually in foil. Place on a rimmed baking sheet. Bake until tender, 45–60 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Unwrap potatoes and arrange on same baking sheet. Set another rimmed baking sheet over potatoes, rimmed side up, and press gently to smash potatoes without breaking them apart. Season with salt and pepper; drizzle with half of the oil. Carefully turn potatoes to coat.
- Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Roast potatoes for 15 minutes. Drizzle with remaining oil, turn to coat, and continue roasting until crispy and golden brown, 25–30 minutes.