Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Comfort Food Alert(CFA). "Smashed" potatoes with the skins left on for more vitamins. Veggies add even more flavor. Goes well with any kind of gravy, especially good with Smothered Minute Steak. Enjoy!
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the a butter, then the celery and onions.
- Sauté until the vegetables are golden, about 5 minutes.
- Remove from the pan and reserve.
- Add the potatoes and just enough cold water to cover.
- Bring the water to a boil; cover, reduce heat to medium-low and cook until potatoes are tender,.
- about 15 minutes, depending on size.
- Drain the potatoes and return the pan to medium heat.
- Stir in the cooked vegetables, 3 tablespoons of butter and milk.
- "Smash"(still has small lumps of potatoes) lightly with a masher or fork.
- Add more salt, pepper and taste for seasoning.
- Serve immediately or keep warm over low heat with the lid slightly opened.
These potatoes are wonderfully smashing! I did have to peel my potatoes due to the season. It is just too hard to get good potatoes this time of year. I will be making this again in the summer and will not peel them! I added in some green onion for added colour. This will become a regular at our table. Thanks so much for sharing your recipe.
I made a mistake and peeled my potatoes and they were still very good! My potatoes were on the small side so I added 2 more and that worked well for 4 servings. Loved the bit of crunch from the celery and the onion flavor was great. Topped with celery flakes before serving. DH said he wants these again soon and I will leave the potatoes unpeeled. Thank you Caroline for posting!
Very yummy!!! Nice change of pace with the peels left on!