Recipe by Sharon123
Just saw this on the Down Home with the Neely's show and had to share! What a great way to get veggies into your meal. Tweaked just a leeetle bit!
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 4 lbs russet potatoes, quartered
- 2 heads broccoli (about 6 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (you can use Smart Balance margarine)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender; about 20 minutes. Cut the florets off the broccoli and add to boiling potatoes, till soft, about 7 minutes. Drain and transfer back into pot.
- Heat the milk, cream, and butter in a small saucepan. Pour sauce into the potatoes and broccoli, mash together.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- If desired, mash in 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese.