Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Just saw this on the Down Home with the Neely's show and had to share! What a great way to get veggies into your meal. Tweaked just a leeetle bit!
- 4 lbs yukon gold potatoes or 4 lbs russet potatoes, quartered
- 2 heads broccoli (about 6 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup whole milk
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream (or half and half)
- 1⁄4 cup butter (you can use Smart Balance margarine)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Boil the potatoes in salted water until very tender; about 20 minutes. Cut the florets off the broccoli and add to boiling potatoes, till soft, about 7 minutes. Drain and transfer back into pot.
- Heat the milk, cream, and butter in a small saucepan. Pour sauce into the potatoes and broccoli, mash together.
- Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
- If desired, mash in 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese.
Very good and easy to make. I followed the recipe as written using the cheddar cheese. The whole family enjoyed this.
This side dish is perfect. I love this dish as it is~didn't change a thing. I did add some cheddar cheese at the end...perfect Sharon, and thank you so much for sharing!
This sure beats the usual plain mashed potatoes. These potatoes are loaded with flavor and you get the bonus of more veggies. I halved the recipe and followed the instructions as written. It doesn't take much more time than when you make regular mashed potatoes. I loved the addition of the broccoli, and I also chose to add the cheddar cheese. YUM! Made as an extra for the April 2011 Aus/NZ Swap.