Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
From America's Test Kitchen
- 2 lbs Red Bliss potatoes (skin on)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- cover potatoes w/ 1" water. add 1 tsp salt. add 1 bay leef. bring to boil. cook to fork tender.
- extract 1C cooking water. drain potatoes. extract bay leaf. put potatoes in pot (to dry off).
- smash potatoe (use flat side of spatula or spoon to "squish").
- mix add 4 tbsp melted butter. add 4oz cream cheese. mix. salt pepper. add 1/4 C cooking water (or until desired consistency). sprinkle a bit of chive. add mixture to pot.
These were absolutely delicious. This is the only way I make smashed potatoes now. The recipe was easy to follow. The cream cheese was ingenius to me to put on smashed potatoes. In America's Test Kitchen they explained why the use of cream cheese worked, but I forgot now. I think it had something to do to the fat content or something. All I know is that it worked. I also make these with roasted garlic which takes them to another level in my oppinion. This is definitely one of my families favorite potato recipes.