Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
This is good either warm or at room temperature :) Yukon Gold potatoes can used in place of the red, or use half each, the cheddar cheese is only optional, prep time includes boiling potatoes.
Top Review by spiritussancto
i found this rather bland. made as a 1/2 recipe with 6 big Yukon potatoes so maybe that was why. the base dressing was good and much lower fat then just mayo. i ended up adding about 1tsp more garlic powder, double the onion, although i tossed in with the potatoes for the last min or two of cooking time to blanch, 3 stalks celery, about 1/3 cup sweet relish in place of the chopped pickles, about 1/4-1/2 tsp chipotle pepper, 1 tsp normal salt, 1 tsp onion salt, and about 1/2 Tbs dill. i think in future i might try adding some mildly sauted mushrooms or try dijon mustard instead of normal. in general i find this a good base but it needs more texture and flavor. also makes a huge amount even with half recipe
- 12 medium red potatoes (peeled or unpeeled)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder (I like to add it in, omit if you do not like garlic) (optional)
- 3 -4 tablespoons mustard
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 small sweet pickles, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- seasoning salt or white salt
- black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional) or 1⁄2 cup finely diced cheddar cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cube the potatoes, then place in a large pot; cover with water and 1 tablespoons salt.
- Bring to a boil and cook until just fork tender (cooking time will vary depending on the size of the potatoes) drain then place in a large bowl.
- Using a fork slightly and coarsly mash the hot potatoes leaving large lumps/chunks in the mixture (do not mash till smooth).
- Mix in butter until melted, then add in onion, celery and sweet pickles; mix to combine.
- In a small bowl whisk together mayonnaise, sour cream and mustard; add to the potato mixture and toss to combine; add to the potato mixture and mix until well combined.
- Season with seasoned salt (or white salt) and black pepper to taste.
- Mix in grated cheddar cheese (if using).
- Serve warm or room temperature.