1/2 Photos of Smashed Potato Chowder With Variations
How can you miss with a great potato offering when the weather is crummy or just plain cold. This recipe even comes with variations except the guy in your life making it for you with a hot drink and a foot massage for dessert (as if!).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 1/2 lbs potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 3/4 cup sweet pepper (yellow or red chopped -1 medium)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons bottled minced roasted garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 slices bacon, crisp-cooked, drained, and coarsely chopped
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (8 ounces)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream or 1/2 cup half-and-half or 1/2 cup light cream
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green onion (4)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1In a 4-quart Dutch oven combine potato, sweet pepper, garlic, and black pepper.
- 2Stir in broth.
- 3Bring to boiling; reduce heat.
- 4Simmer, covered, for 20 to 25 minutes or until potato is tender.
- 5Use a potato masher to mash potatoes slightly.
- 6Stir in bacon, 1-1/2 cups of the cheese, the whipping cream, and green onion; heat through.
- 7To serve, ladle soup into bowls.
- 8Top each serving with sour cream and remaining cheese.
- 9Makes 8 main-dish servings.
- 11Smashed Potato Chowder with Ham:
- 12Prepare as above, except substitute 1-1/2 cups chopped, cooked ham for the bacon.
- 13Smashed Potato Chowder with Beans:
- 14Prepare as above, except substitute shredded carrot for the sweet pepper. Add one 15-ounce can cannellini (white kidney beans) or Great Northern beans, rinsed and drained, after mashing the potatoes. Substitute 2 teaspoons dried dill for the green onion.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Smashed Potato Chowder With Variations
Serving Size: 1 (583 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 644.5
- Calories from Fat 350
- Total Fat 38.9 g
- Saturated Fat 19.9 g
- Cholesterol 95.7 mg
- Sodium 1157.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 51.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.4 g
- Sugars 3.8 g
- Protein 23.6 g