Recipe by Maito
We love all the flavors of a loaded baked potato, but not the fat. So I turned that into a low fat smashed (or mashed, if you like) potato side dish. Portions are filling, and are approximately 5.5 grams of fat per person, including the bacon pieces.
Top Review by Baby Kato
Wow great potato recipe Maito. We both enjoyed the potatoes prepared this way. It was quick and really fast to throw together, with amazing results. The potatoes had a lovely texture and great flavor. Thanks for sharing... made for Went to Market Tag game.
- 8 yellow new potatoes (about 3/4 pound)
- 1 teaspoon Smart Balance light butter spread or 1 teaspoon any other light tub margarine
- 3 tablespoons nonfat milk
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat sour cream or 1⁄2 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 2 tablespoons bacon bits or 2 tablespoons veggie bacon bits
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Microwave potatoes until fork tender (you could also steam or boil the potatoes as well).
- With a masher, smash potatoes a little (I leave the skins on, but feel free to remove them, if you like). Add light butter, and smash a little more. Be careful not to overmix, or potatoes will become glue-y.
- Add milk and stir or mash into potatoes. Stir in sour cream, bacon bits and chives. Add salt and pepper, if desired.
- Rewarm for about 45 seconds in the microwave, and serve.