Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from a Canadian show called Best Recipes Ever.I have never tried leeks but thought this was a good way to try them.I'm very glad I did.Leeks have a similar taste as a green onion.I halved the recipe to make it into 2 servings. For the buttermilk,I used milk and about 1 tbsp of lemon juice mixed together. Cooking time is boiling time for the potatoes.
- 6 yukon gold potatoes
- 44.37 ml butter or 44.37 ml margarine
- 2 leeks, white and light green parts only, thinly sliced
- 3.69 ml salt
- 3.69 ml pepper
- 0.25 ml dried thyme
- 314.66 ml buttermilk
- Scrub potatoes.
- Cut into 2 inch cubes.
- In large saucepan of boiling salted water,cover and cook potatoes until tender,about 15 minutes.
- Drain and return to pot.
- Meanwhile,in a small skillet,melt 1 tbsp butter over medium heat;fry leeks.
- Add a pinch of salt,pepper and thyme to leeks.
- Fry until tender,about 5 minutes.
- Add buttermilk,remaining butter,salt & pepper to potatoes;smash with potato masher until smooth with a few large pieces remaining.
- Stir in leeks mixture.
This is a real tasty dish!My dh loves leeks,me so so,but done this way I loved them!! Did half recipe,will make again for company and for ourselves,thanks for something new.