Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe comes from Paula's Home Cooking.
Texas Style Chili
- 3 lbs ground chuck
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage
- 3 onions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (28 ounce) cans whole tomatoes, chopped
- 3 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 hot dog buns
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Using a Dutch oven, combine the ground chuck, sausage, onions, and garlic.
- Cook over medium heat until the meat is browned, stirring the meat to break it up as it cooks.
- Drain the pan drippings.
- Stir in the chili powder, flour, sugar, oregano, salt, and stir well.
- Cover pot and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and beans, and simmer for another 20 minutes.
- Preheat a grill.
- Grill hot dogs until done, approximately 5 minutes.
- Place the buns on the grill to warm them.
- Place hot dogs in the bun.
- Put the hotdog on the plate with split side facing to the side.
- Smash the hotdog until flat with your hand and ladle chili on top.
- Top with cheddar cheese.