Recipe by 1hotpotato
My son and I saw this on a PBS cooking show (Test Kitchen) and thought that it looked good so we tried it and loved it. I would use this as a base recipe and then added whatever you want afterwards like a package of ranch or bacon. Hope you enjoy. Cooking time will vary.
- 6 -8 whole potatoes
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 tablespoons fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup water (reserved from boiling potatoes)
Directions See How It's Made
- Boil the whole potatoes in salt water.
- Remove them from the water and allow to dry (it will only take a couple of minutes) Do not pour out all the water. Save about 1/2 cup.
- While they are drying, mix the rest of the ingredients and the 1/2 cup of the potato water. I use a hand mixer for this and that really helps.
- Then, with a spatula or a wooden spoon, simply smash the potatoes. Just enough to break open to spud. Do not mash. Your goal is to have potato chunks.
- Fold the cream cheese mixture in with the potatoes.
- Season to taste.