Prep 40 mins
Cook 14 mins
I haven't tried it, but it looked good though.
- 3⁄4 cup butter (room temp)
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 teaspoon almond essence or 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- smarties candies or M&M's plain chocolate candy
- Preheat the oven to 190°C.
- Keep 5-6 ungreased cookie sheets on hand.
- Beat the butter and sugar till fluffy and light.
- Add the salt + vanilla essence + almond essence and beat for 30 seconds.
- With a spatula mix in the beaten egg.
- Put in all the flour in one go, and gather together to make a firm dough.
- Chill for at least 30 minutes in wrap.
- Roll out to ¼ inch thickness and cut with assorted cookie cutters.
- Decorate with Smarties (or M ‘n’ M’s), and silver dragees if desired.
- Bake on ungreased cookie sheets for 12-14 minutes, watching closely so that they don’t get too brown.
- Remove from oven; let the cookies lay on the sheet for a minute. Remove to racks to cool.
- Note: You can flavour these with any other extract of your choice; or just leave them plain vanilla if you like. I think orange and lemon may work well with these, though I haven’t tried it myself.
- Keep an eye on the cookies towards the end of the baking time. If you find a couple browning before others, remove them from the sheet onto cookie rack, and return remaining cookies on sheet to the oven.