Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
I threw this together for lunch today, I'm doing a low carb diet right now and thought a quiche would be a nice change from a salad type lunch. I didn't specify what kind of cheese to use but please do not use a mild cheese like mozzarella or a mild cheddar because it will not have enough flavor for the quiche. I used goat cheese that had been immersed in wine, but an extra sharp cheddar, gruyere, or swiss would work really well. ***You will need a 6-inch pie plate for this recipe, you can POSSIBLY use a normal size pie plate if you double the recipe, but proceed with that at your own risk.
- 2 cups fresh broccoli florets, raw
- 1 (5 ounce) can tuna in water
- 2 ounces cheese, shredded
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1⁄4 cup green onion, chopped
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄2 cup cream
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried marjoram
- salt and pepper
- nutmeg, grated to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease well a 6 inch pie plate.
- Boil the broccoli in salted water for 2 minutes; drain and set aside. Drain tuna from can and pat dry with paper towels. In a bowl toss together the cooked broccoli, tuna, garlic, green onions, and cheese. Pour the broccoli and tuna mixture into the pie plate and spread evenly.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg and cream. Whisk in dry mustard, marjoram, salt and pepper. Slowly pour the egg mixture over the broccoli mixture disturbing the egg mixture evenly. Sprinkle grated nutmeg over quiche.
- Bake for 30 minutes and then let cool at room temp for about 15 minutes before serving.
Made this and was very good. Extra sharp cheddar cheese would be better to use I think--more flavor, but I liked it alot. Will make again. :) 12-27-14
This made a super quick and delicious dinner. The broccoli was washed and placed in a small microwave dish. It was microwaved until crisp tender then a knife was run through it to roughly chop it. The tuna was a 7 oz can. It is not only good for a low carb meal but it is perfect for a gluten free as well. Made for PAC Spring 2011.