This recipe hails from a small town called LaGrange. Beautiful farmland as far as the eye can see. Green earth, puffy clouds in a blue sky, a horse here, a calf & mama there. If you're lucky, you might even catch the blur of a buck prancing off into the woods. Lusciously creamy with just a nibble from the chilies, this chowder is a cozy reminder of the state's southwestern roots.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Roast the peppers.
- 2I just tossed mine onto my stove and was very pleased with the flavour.
- 3Clean-up was surprisingly easy, too.
- 4The outdoor grill (especially if you have charcoal) or the oven would be the more conventional approach.
- 5While the peppers are roasting, brown the onion, mushrooms and corn kernels in a pan with olive oil, salt & fresh cracked pepper until fragrant.
- 6Add garlic and cumin powder.
- 7Gently pour stock over the vegetables and allow it to warm up.
- 8Keep an eye on the peppers so you don't burn down the house.
- 9Smoosh the flour into the soft butter with a fork. The French call this beurre manie' and use it to thicken liquids.
- 10Incorporate it into the stock mixture until the lumps have disappeared.
- 11Remove the peppers when the skin has charred. Put them into a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. The steam will help loosen the skin from the flesh.
- 12Remove the skin and seeds, then dice them.
- 13Add to the pan. Bring the mixture up to heat.
- 14Blend to a smoother consistency, but leave a few of the ingredients visible.
- 15Finish with the cream, garnish with some shaved parmesan and serve with some crusty French bread.
Browse Our Top Chowders Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chowders Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Small-Town Charm: Chili Crimini Corn Chowder
Serving Size: 1 (203 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.7
- Calories from Fat 248
- Total Fat 27.6 g
- Saturated Fat 16.7 g
- Cholesterol 94.6 mg
- Sodium 148.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 5.4 g
- Protein 7.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: