Prep 10 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is one of our favorite breakfasts. The original recipe was for four servings, but since there are just two of us, I divided the recipe and make two individual servings. Any cheese or cooked meat can be used. It is great with smoked salmon (my favorite). If using salmon, add some dill weed. Please note that prep time does not include standing time.
- 1 English muffin
- 1 slice cheese
- 1 slice Canadian bacon
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon onions, minced or 1 teaspoon green onion, sliced
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon grainy mustard
- This is best if made the night before or you can make and let sit an hour on the counter before baking.
- Grease a smal individual souffle dish, about two cup size.
- Place half of the muffin in greased dish.
- Layer with cheese and meat of choice.
- Top with other half muffin.
- Beat egg, milk, salt, pepper, and mustard until foamy.
- Stir in onion.
- Pour over muffin in dish.
- Cover and place in refrigerator overnight or place on counter for one hour.
- Bake in preheated 325 degree oven for about 35 minutes.
The hardest part was finding the right dish to bake them in! I wound up using two au gratin dishes and splitting each half of the English muffin in half to fit better in the dish. I used an extra slice of Canadian bacon in each, again for fit. I used a Jarlesberg Light cheese and this was really tasty and not to fattening. I may try Egg Beaters next time, but it was great as is!! Thanks for sharing!!
We LOVED this recipe!!! I can't believe I put it off as long as I did because it is super easy!!! I did not have souffle dishes so I made them in a muffin tin. This of course was not as attractive as an individual dish and quite messy to scoop out. I do plan to buy some souffle dishes because I WILL be making this one again!
This was wonderful. I had made this recipe quite a few times in the past. I had lost the original recipe and wanted to make it for a Mother's Day brunch my sister and I put on annually for our own mother and our mother's in law. I was frantic. Luckily I came across this great web site and found your live saving post. I love the ease of preparing this and the taste is fantastic.