Recipe by zeldaz51
An old family recipe, but not MY family! Make the variation with ginger root for a great option to serve with chicken, pork, or fish.
- 5 cups coarsely chopped peeled tomatoes (about 2 1/2 lb.)
- 2 large oranges (preferably organic, as pesticides are in peels)
- 1 lemon (ditto)
- 4 cups granulated sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Place tomatoes in a very large non-reactive saucepan.
- Halve and seed oranges and lemon. Finely chop fruit in food processor or blender and add to tomatoes. Bring mixture to a full boil over high heat. Slowly add sugar, stirring until sugar is completely dissolved. Return to a boil and boil rapidly until mixture forms a gel, about 1 hour, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes in a boiling water bath.
- VARIATION, GINGERED TOMATO MARMALADE. Add 3 tablespoons finely chopped peeled gingerroot during cooking.