Recipe by lolsuz
All the beignet recipes I've seen so far make enough to serve an army. Here's one that makes beignets for three or four people, adapted for fast and easy prep. Exactly like the breathtakingly light and airy doughnuts I've enjoyed many times at Cafe du Monde.
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dry yeast
- 1 egg
- 3 cups flour
Directions See How It's Made
- Measure all your ingredients out and have everything ready to go.
- Heat the shortening and water together until the shortening is melted and the whole mixture is very warm but not scalding hot. Pour into bread machine.
- Turn machine on and quickly add the other ingredients in the order listed and allow the bread machine to knead the dough for the full dough cycle.
- Remove dough from pan to a flour-dusted surface and roll thin. Cut into squares and fry in hot oil just long enough for them to golden brown.
- Drain and serve sprinkled with powdered sugar.
- Tip: Beignets puff up two inches thick or more, so you need at least a couple of inches of oil in your pan.