1/1 Photo of Small-Batch Almanac Pear Butter
2 hrs 10 mins
No need for sugar in this lightly spiced spread - the natural sweetness of the pears condenses into a dark gold caramel all on it's own! Adapted from the Old Farmer's Almanac Garden-Fresh Cookbook. Makes about 1 cup, 8 (2-tbsp) servings
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a saucepan, bring the apple juice, ginger and allspice to a boil.
- 2Add the pears and reduce to a simmer.
- 3Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove ginger slices.
- 4Continue to cook, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, until the mixture is thick, smooth, spreadable and a dark-brown caramel.
- 5Can in a water bath or spoon into a clean jar and keep in the fridge up to 6 weeks.
Browse Our Top Jams and Preserves Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Jams and Preserves Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Small-Batch Almanac Pear Butter
Serving Size: 1 (119 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 61.9
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 3.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.9 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 0.2 g
The following items or measurements are not included: