Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
No need for sugar in this lightly spiced spread - the natural sweetness of the pears condenses into a dark gold caramel all on it's own! Adapted from the Old Farmer's Almanac Garden-Fresh Cookbook. Makes about 1 cup, 8 (2-tbsp) servings
- In a saucepan, bring the apple juice, ginger and allspice to a boil.
- Add the pears and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes. Remove ginger slices.
- Continue to cook, stirring regularly to prevent sticking, until the mixture is thick, smooth, spreadable and a dark-brown caramel.
- Can in a water bath or spoon into a clean jar and keep in the fridge up to 6 weeks.