Recipe by Kerfuffle-Upon-Wincle
Small avocado salads with just enough spring greens to catch the vinaigrette! Adapted from Sunset posted 10/27/2011, updated 01/12/2012, and featured on the Kitchen Daily, huffingtonpost.com 7/7/2012 --
Top Review by mama smurf
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup ~ 2014 tag game and this is definately a keeper! DH and I love every ingredient in this dish so I knew it was going to be a hit. Made as instructed and this will be a great salad for this summer. Thank you for posting.
- 1⁄3 lb bacon (cooked, see below ~ reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat)
- 2 avocados (firm-ripe, pitted, peeled, and each cut into 4 to 6 wedges)
- 2 cups spring greens
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons gorgonzola (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in a large skillet; drain on paper towels ~ reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Heat reserved bacon fat over medium heat. Add garlic, 1⁄4 cup water (carefully, because it will sputter a little), the lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper, and simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in parsley and crumble in bacon. Cool slightly.
- Prepare individual salad plates with about 1/2 cup spring greens on each plate; top with avocado wedges.
- Immediately spoon a small amount of vinaigrette over avocado wedges on each plate ~ top each plate with 1 tablespoon Gorgonzola, and serve.