Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
Small avocado salads with just enough spring greens to catch the vinaigrette! Adapted from Sunset posted 10/27/2011, updated 01/12/2012, and featured on the Kitchen Daily, huffingtonpost.com 7/7/2012 --
- 1⁄3 lb bacon (cooked, see below ~ reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat)
- 2 avocados (firm-ripe, pitted, peeled, and each cut into 4 to 6 wedges)
- 2 cups spring greens
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 3 garlic cloves (finely minced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄16 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons gorgonzola (optional)
- Fry bacon in a large skillet; drain on paper towels ~ reserve 2 tablespoons bacon fat.
- Heat reserved bacon fat over medium heat. Add garlic, 1⁄4 cup water (carefully, because it will sputter a little), the lemon juice, sugar, salt, and pepper, and simmer 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Stir in parsley and crumble in bacon. Cool slightly.
- Prepare individual salad plates with about 1/2 cup spring greens on each plate; top with avocado wedges.
- Immediately spoon a small amount of vinaigrette over avocado wedges on each plate ~ top each plate with 1 tablespoon Gorgonzola, and serve.
Made for Zaar Chef Alphabet Soup ~ 2014 tag game and this is definately a keeper! DH and I love every ingredient in this dish so I knew it was going to be a hit. Made as instructed and this will be a great salad for this summer. Thank you for posting.
Great salad! Similar to a wilted lettuce with the warm bacon dressing. The creamy avocado with the tart Gorgonzola cheese and the salty bacon is a great combo. Will make this again. Made for Photo Tag.
What's not to love...we all know bacon makes everything taste good...the dressing is the star of this dish...hubby wasn't too crazy about the avocado...but that's just him....I did omit the cheese only because I didn't have any and I'm not crazy about Gorgonzola...I did cut the recipe in half and it worked great...thanks for posting it...=)