Recipe by Jellyqueen
This is one of my adopted recipes. I have made it, but it still needs a little tweeking. Note: I am still working on this recipe, but I did find that I needed additional milk. I would add up to 1/2 cup regular milk to the buttermilk, or as much as you need to get the consistency you desire. I also put 2 Tablespoons oil in an iron skillet and preheated in the oven while mixing the ingredients. I then added the mixture and spooned the hot oil over the top of mixture.
Top Review by Dreamgoddess
I chose this recipe in our Adopted Recipe Swap. I omitted the crackers and was out of buttermilk, so I used milk. I also preheated oil in my skillet before adding the ingredients. We really enjoyed this for our Sunday dinner!
- 2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 teaspoons butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 cups cracklings
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix all ingredients well.
- Preheat 2 tablespoons oil in skillet in oven while mixing.
- Put additional shortening or drippings on top.
- Bake at 450 degrees for 20 minutes.
- You may use a divided iron skillet or cornstick pan.
- Actually, you can use a regular on skillet if that's all you have.